Department of Pharmacology
Dr. Ekbote Maruthi T
Professor and Head Department of Pharmacology
SJM College of Pharmacy
Chitradurga - 577502
- Ph. D Department of Biotechnology Kuvempu University, Shankargatta, Shimoga
- M. Pharm – Pharmacognosy (1990-1992) KLE Society’s College of Pharmacy, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College Belgaum: 64 %
- B. Pharm (1985-1989) KLE Society’s College of Pharmacy, Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College Belgaum. : 55 %
- Lecturer: 1992 to 1994 at SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga
- Assistant Professor: 1994 to 2010 at SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga
- Professor: May 2010 to till date) at SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga.
M.Pharm : 25 Years
Research Experience : 25 Years
Area of Interest in teaching and research
- Pharmacognosy & Phytochemistry
- Pharmaceutical Microbiology
- Pharmaceutical Biotechnology
- Drug discovery from Plants sources
- Genetic Engineering
A. Research Work during Doctoral Studies
Phytochemical and Pharmacological studies in Azima tetracantha (Linn) and Cocculus hirsutus L
B. Research Work during Masters
Chemical and Pharmacological investigation of the seed kernels of Caesalpinia crista (linn).
Number of Research Publications: 08
1. Ekbote Maruthi T, Ramesh CK, Riaz Mahmood, Thippeswamy BS and Veeresh Veerapur. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic activities of Azima tetracantha Lam leaves, Journal of Pharmacy Research, 2010, 3, (3), 478-481.
2. Ekbote Maruthi T, Ramesh CK, Riaz Mahmood, Thippeswamy BS and Veeresh Veerapur. Evaluation of antipyretic activity of Azima tetracantha Lam. in rats, Biotechnology an Indian Journal (TSI) Volume 4 Issue 1 March 2010.
3. Ekbote Maruthi T, Ramesh CK and Riaz Mahmood, Evaluation of anthelmintic and antimicrobial activities of Azima tetracantha Lam, Int, J. Ph. Sc. JAN-APRIL 2010:2(1), 375-381.
4. Ekbote Maruthi T, Ramesh CK, Riaz Mahmood, Thippeswamy BS and Veeresh Veerapur. Hepatoprotective and antioxidant effect of Azima tetracantha Lam against CCl4- induced liver injury in rats, Indian J. Nat. Prod. Resour, Dec. 2010, Vol. 1 (4), 493-499 (CSIR Publication)
5. T. S.Nagarajaa, Riaz Mahmood, V. Krishnab, Ekbote Maruthi T EVALUATION OF ANTIMICROBIAL ACTIVITY OF ERYTHRINA MYSORENSIS Gamb., Int. J. Drug Dev. & Res., April-June 2011, 3 (2): 198-202.
6. Nagaraja T.S., Mohmood Riaz, Krishna V., Maruthi T. Ekbote, Phytochemical Screening and Anthelmintic Activity of Erythrina mysorensis Gamb. Research Journal of Pharmacognosy and Phytochemistry 2012, Volume : 4, Issue : 3, 191-193.
7. M. Mumtaz Mohammed Hussain, K. Ishwar Bhat, B. C Revanasiddappa, Maruti T Ekbote and G. R Natraj. Synthesis, Antitubercular and Anti fungal Evaluation of Novel 1,3,5-Trisubstituted Pyrozolines, Ind J. of Hetrocyclic chemistry, Vol. 22 Jan- March, 2013, pp 267-272.
8. Baswaraj H S, Vishwapathi A, Sadyojatha I, D. R. Bharathi, Maruthi T Ekbote Synthesis , antimicrobial and QSAR studies of some novel substituted pyridine Chalcones Universal Journal of Pharmacy 2012 01, (01), 61-66
Paper and Poster Presentations
Number of Presentations: 03
- Ekbote Maruthi T, Ramesh CK and Riaz Mahmood, “Antiinflammatory and analgesic activity of Azima tetracantha” XXXII All India Botanical Conference and International Symposium on “Diversity of Plants and Microbes: Present Scenario”,Dept. of Applied Botany, Kuvempu University on December 28-30, 2009.
- Ekbote Maruthi T, Ramesh CK and Riaz Mahmood, “Antiinflammatory and analgesic activity of Cocculus hirsutus” Presented full paper in (Feb 8-10, 2010) National Seminar on “Zoology, Life process and Nanotechnology” held at Dept. of Zoology, Goa University, Panjim Goa, India.
- Ekbote Maruthi T, Ramesh CK and Riaz Mahmood, “Cardiovascular effects of Azima tetracantha extracts on isolated rats’ heart” (Dec 17-19, 2010) 62nd INDIAN PHARMACEUTICAL CONGRESS 2010, Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal University, Manipal , Karnataka, India.
Refresher / Orientation Courses
Number of Courses Attended : 01
AICTE Sponsored QIP programme in Biotechnology from 7th March to 19th March 2000, at Kakatiya University, Warangal.
Number of Workshops/Conferences attended : 13
1. APTI “Second Annual National Convention” held on 1st and 2nd March 1997 at Bangalore by Al-Ameen College of Pharmacy, Bangalore.
2. AICTE Sponsored QIP programme in Biotechnology from 7th March to 19th March 2000, at Kakatiya University, Warangal.
3. National Seminar on Challenges and Opportunities posed by Biotechnology and IPR from 20-21 Jan 2006, Organised by PES college of Pharmacy Bangalore.
4. UGC Sponsored State level Conference on Nano Materials and their applications on 22nd Feb 2007, Organised by Dept of Chemistry SJM Arts Science and Commerce College. Chitradurga.
5. Seminar on Recent advances in Spectroscopic Techniques on 25th and 26th Aug. 2007 KLES s College of Pharmacy, Hubli.
6. Botanical Conference and International Symposium on “Diversity of Plants and Microbes: Present Scenario”,Dept. of Applied Botany, Kuvempu University on December 28-30, 2009.
7. National Symposium on “Recent Trends in Pharmacy Education” 29th November 2010, SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga.
8. UGC Sponsored National Symposium on Emerging Trends in Biotechnology, 20th and 21 March 2010 organised by Dept of Biotechnology, Sahyadri Science College, Shimoga.
9. National Seminar on “Zoology, Life process and Nanotechnology” held at Dept. of Zoology, Goa University, Panjim Goa, India, in (Feb 8-10, 2010).
10. INDIAN PHARMACEUTICAL CONGRESS 62nd, December 2010, Manipal College of Pharmaceutical Sciences, Manipal University, Manipal , Karnataka, India.
11. First International Convention on “Global Challanges and opportunities in Herbal Medicines” organized by Society of Pharmacognosy held at KLE University’s College of Pharmacy, Belgaum on 18th to 20th February 2011.
12. INDIAN PHARMACEUTICAL CONGRESS 63rd, 16th to 18th December 2011, International exhibition Centre, Bangalore, Karnataka, India.
13. National Workshop “How to get Grade A in NAAC” conducted by Alert knowledge services, Gurgaon held at The Pride Hotel, Bangalore on 27th November 2015.
Innovations / Contributions in Teaching
a) Design of curriculum
Participated in Pharm D course curriculum workshop entitled “Pharmacy Practice Clinicals” to define syllabus more appropriately, organized at SJM College of Pharmacy in Co-Ordination with RGUHS on 9th February 2016.
b) Teaching methods
- Course Teaching Plan is made available in the Library.
- Learning objectives will be defined at the beginning of each class.
- Lecture – Power point Presentations and Black Board method.
- Group Discussions, Plenary sessions are conducted regularly.
- Hands on training are emphasized during practical training.
c) Evaluation methods
- Quiz in each class to assess daily progress of students.
- Viva-Voce during practical sessions was conducted.
- Regular Class test were conducted.
d) Preparation of resource materials including Books reading materials laboratory manuals etc
Soft copies of Text books are made available in Department and Library
e) Remedial Teaching /student counselling (academic) :
- Remedial teaching classes were conducted to weaker students and repeaters.
- Counselled students with a focus to impart professionalism and improve subject knowledge during weekly practical sessions.
Membership of Professional Bodies:
1. Life Member Association of Pharmacy Teachers of India (APTI).
2. Member Karnataka State Pharmacy Council (KSPC)
Extension work /community service:
- As Coordinator for Water Quality Analysis Project for Bacteriological Analysis in Environmental Lab, SJM Institute of Technology, Chitradurga from 22-06-2000 to 31-07-2000.
- As Herbal Garden In-charge for maintenance form 15-09-2009.
- As Professor and Head, Department of Pharmacognosy and Biotechnology 2010 to till date at SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga.
- As NAAC Coordinator 6th Nov 2013 to 11th May 2015 at SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga.
- Working as a Principal Investigator “Antimicrobial Study of Medicinal Plants used in Folklore and other Alternative Systems of Medicine around Chitradurga” Sponsored by RGUHS (Sanctioned Amount: Rs 3,75, 000-00:), Bangalore from 2nd February 2016.
- As Internal and External Examiner, Question paper setting, LIC inspector, Chief superintendent, Deputy Chief superintendent, Valuator, Scrutiny of Question Paper in Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences Bangalore and Goa University, Goa.
- Worked as member in Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Biotechnology subject IInd B. Pharm workshop in Curriculum delivery and design organized by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences on 12 and 13 of July 2016.
- Worked as member in Pharmaceutical Microbiology and Biotechnology subject IInd Pharm D workshop in Curriculum delivery and design organized by Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences on 26th of July 2016.
1. Community work such as values of National Integration, secularism, democracy, socialism, Humanism, peace, scientific temper, floor of Drought relief, family planning, Public Health AIDS, etc.
- Organized and Participated in health awareness programmes of Dengue, Tuberculosis.
- Positions held/Leadership role played in Organizations lined with Extension work and National Service Scheme (NSS) or any other similar activity
1. Organized and Participated in a workshop on “Research Ethics” on 25th January 2016 at SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga.
2. Organized Seminars and Awareness Programs in many villages
Co-ordinator for Synergizers/Titrators/Extractors/Interactors/Crushers:
As NAAC Coordinator, 6th Nov 2013 to 11th May 2015 at SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga.
Enrichment of Campus Life
Actively associated with Admission Process, Cultural Programmes, Sports, Debates, Seminars, Exhibition and other campus activities As Herbal Garden In-charge for maintenance form 15-09-2009.