Department of Pharma Chemistry
Dr. Basavaraja HS
Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry
SJM College of Pharmacy
Chitradurga - 577502
- Ph.D â€“ Organic Chemistry (2006-2010) Kuvempu University, Shankerghatta : ---
- M. Pharm - Pharmaceutical Chemistry (2002-2004) SCS College of Pharmacy Harapanahalli Rajiv Gandhi University of Health Sciences, Bengaluru.: 70.00%
- B. Pharm (1997-2001) SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga; Rajiv Gandhi University Health Sciences, Bengaluru.: 60.3%
- Lecturer (September 2005 to September 2009 ) at SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga
- Assistant Professor (September 2009 to September 2014) at SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga.
- Associate Professor (September 2014 to till date) at SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga.
- B.Pharm : 11 Years
- Pharm D : 8 Years
- M.Pharm : 4 Years
Research Experience : 8 Years
Area of Interest in teaching and research
- Synthetic Chemistry
- Pharmaceutical Analysis
- Medicinal Chemistry
- Drug design
- Invitro evaluation of anti-cancer, anti-TB and antimicrobial agents.
- Course Teaching Plan is made available in the Library.
- Learning objectives will be defined at the beginning of each class.
- Lecture â€“ Power point Presentations and Black Board method.
- Group Discussions, Plenary sessions are conducted regularly.
- Hands on training is emphasized during practical training.
- Quiz in each class to assess daily progress of students.
- Viva-Voce during practical sessions was conducted.
- Regular Class test were conducted.
- Lab Manual was Prepared and supplied to students.
- Chapter wise hand outs and notes was prepared and supplied to students at the end of each chapter.
- Remedial teaching classes were conducted to weaker students and repeaters.
- Counselled students with a focus to impart professionalism and improve subject knowledge during weekly practical sessions.
- Life Member Association of Pharmacy Teachers of India (APTI).
- Member Karnataka State Pharmacy Council (KSPC)
- Editorial Board Member of Universal Journal of Pharmacy.
- Organized and Participated in health awareness programmes of Dengue, Tuberculosis.
- Positions held/Leadership role played in Organizations lined with Extension work and National Service Scheme (NSS) or any other similar activity
- Enrichment of Campus Life
- Class teacher for IV B Pharma.
- Member of the examination and Sessional committee
- Member of the Teacher Mentor Committee
- convener / secretary of the G-PAT committee
- Member of the library advisory Committee
- Member of the sports and cultural
- Member of Alumni Committee
Title: Synthesis, characterization of semi synthesis derivatives from natural lead compounds.
Funding Agency : VGST Govt of Karnataka.
Duration : 2 Years
B. During Doctoral Studies
Title: Synthesis and pharmacological investigation of novel pyrimidine and thiophene derivatives
C. During Masters
Title: Synthesis and pharmacological screening of substituted pyrimidinoimidazolinones
Number of Publications : 14 Publications
1. Basavaraja HS, Basavaraj Padmashali, Ishwar Bhat K, Mumtaz M Hussain, Vijay Kumar MMJ. Synthesis and screening of substituted Eugenol and Paracetamol linked Pyrimidines, Ind J. of Hetrocyclic chemistry, (2011), 20, 241-244.
2. Basavaraja HS, Basavaraj Padmashali, Vijaykumar MMJ, Mumtaz M Hussain, Chidananda BN. Synthesis and antimicrobial screening of some substituted INH and THMPM linked pyrimidines, Ind J. of Hetrocyclic chemistry. (2011), 20, 237-240.
3. Basavaraja HS, Jayadevaiah KV, Mumtaz M. Hussain, Vijay Kumar MMJ and Basavaraj Padmashali. Synthesis of novel piperazine and morpholine linked substituted pyrimidine derivatives as antimicrobial agents, Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences & Research.(2010), 2, 5-12.
4. Dr Basavaraja HS Synthesis of substituted pyrimidino imidazolinones as antimicrobial agents. Indian Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry,Vol. 15, July-Sept, 2005,
5. Inhibition of albumin denaturation ad anti-inflammatory activity of substituted pyrimidinoimidazolinones, Oriental Journal of Chemistry,Vol. 21(2), 2005.
6. Synthesis and Antimicrobial Activity of Tri-Substituted 1,6-Dihydropyrimidines Asian Journal of Chemistry Vol. 20, No. 4 (2008), 2591.
7. Synthesis of novel piperazine and morpholine linked substituted pyrimidine derivatives as antimicrobial agentsâ€. Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences & Research.vol(2), PP 5-12-2010,
8. Antimicrobial evaluation of novel substituted pyrimidinopyrazoles and pyrimidinotri azolesâ€.journal of advance Pharmaceutical technology and & Research. vol(1), PP 236-244. 2010,
9. Basavaraja H S, Nagamani J E , Vijay kumar M M J, Basavaraj Antimicrobial evaluation of novel substituted pyrimidinopyrazoles and pyrimidinotriazoles Padmashali Journal of Advanced Pharmaceutical Technology & Research (JAPTR) Year : 2010 Volume : 1 Issue : 2 Page : 236â€”244.
10. Synthesis And Antimicrobial Activity Of Pyrazolo [3,4-B] Quinolines Containing Pyrimidine Moiety Indian Journal of Heterocyclic Chemistry.Vol. 21, July-Sept., 2011.
11. Synthesis ,characeterization and antimicrobial evaluation and QSAR studies of thiophene and aryl substituted compounds. American journal of Pharma tech. Research.Vol. (2)1, 2012.
12. Synthesis, QSAR and antimicrobial evaluation some novel tetrahydropyrimidine derivatives. International journal of pharmaceutical and chemical sciences.Vol. 1 (1) Janâ€“ Mar 2012.
13. Synthesis, antimicrobial and QSAR studies of some novel substituted pyridine chalcones. Universal journal of pharmacy.Vol. 1 2012.
14. Isolation of Phytoconstituents from the Stem Bark of Bauhinia Variegata Linn. PharmaTutor.2014; 2(9); 150-156.â€ƒ
Number of Presentations : 06
1. Presented a poster in the two day national conference on chemistry and molecular nanotechnology for industry and society. Organised BY dept of industrial Chemistry held at Kuvempu University Shankargatta-577421. In January 2009.
2. Presented a poster in the two day national conference on emerging trends in medicinal chemistry and drug designing by Sri dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara college Ujire on 6th and 7th March 2009.
3. Presented a poster in the one day national conference on Nanochemistry â€“ a science of diminished dimensions. By sahyadri science college Shimoga on 11th March 2009. Awarded BEST POSTER PRESENTATION.
4. Presented a poster in the one day national conference on novel concepts in pharmaceutical research Synthesis, Characterization and Biological Evaluation of Some Novel Substituted Pyrimidines. In National Level Technical Symposium on â€œNovel Concepts in Pharmaceutical Researchâ€, Sponsored by RGUHS Bangalore and NITTE University, Mangalore in July-2009.
5. Presented a poster in the 2nd International Conference On â€œCurrent Status And Future Perspective Pharmacyâ€ Organized by PES College of Pharmacy in Aug-2010 at Bengaluru.
6. Presented a poster in the INDO-US Symposium on frontiers in medicinal chemistry and drug discovery molecule to medicine . By JSS university Mysore.
Refresher / Orientation Courses
Number of Courses Attended : 01
Attended QIP on â€œMorden techniques in pharmaceutical chemistry and pharmaceutical analysisâ€ at JSS university JSS College of Pharmacy Ootacamund Tamilnadu India.March 14th to 27th 2011.
Number of Workshops/Conferences attended : 13
Workshops and Conferences.
1. State Level Conference on Nano Materials and their applications, organized by, Department of Chemistry, S.J.M. College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Chitradurga in Feb. - 2007.
2. AICTE sponsored national seminar on - Designing and Synthesis of Novel Medicinal Compounds by Microwave Techniqueâ€ organized by Dayanand Sagar College of Pharmacy, Bangalore in June â€“ 2007.
3. State Level Conference on â€“ Emerging Trends in Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Designingâ€. Organized by PG Department of Medicinal Chemistry, Sri. Dharmasthala Manjunatheshwara College (Autonomous) Ujire in 2009.
4. Two Day National Conference on Chemistry and Molecular Nanotechnology for Industry and Society organized by Kuvempu University in January - 2009.
5. National Level Technical Symposium on â€œNovel Concepts in Pharmaceutical Researchâ€, Sponsored by RGUHS Bangalore and NITTE University, Mangalore in July-2009.
6. One day seminar on â€œRecent Advances in Pharmaceutical Researchâ€ on 12th Oct, 2010 at SCS College of Pharmacy, Harpanahalli
7. Organized and actively participated as scientific committee member and rapporteur in one day national level symposium on Recent trends in Pharmacy Education: An insight over global Pharma destination at SJM college of Pharmacy, Chitradurga on 29th November 2010 which Was presided by Dr. B. Suresh, President, Pharmacy council of India, New Delhi and vice chancellor, JSS University, Mysore. Attenteded a Seminar â€œRecent Trends in Pharmacy Education. At SJMCP, Chitradurga.
8. Attended a guest lecture on â€œDendrimersâ€ by Dr. Srinivas Mutalik at SJMCP, Chitradurga.
9. Attended two day guest lecture on â€œTechnological advancements in TDDS & Newer Trends in Magnetic DDsâ€ at SJMCP, Chitradurga.
10. Course Work on â€œResearch Methodology and Biostatisticsâ€ 10-14 May, 2010 organized by Research and Development Centre for interdisciplinary Sciences, NITTE University, Mangalore.
11. National Level Technical Symposium on â€œNovel Concepts in Pharmaceutical Researchâ€, 16-17 July, 2009 organized by NITTE University, Mangalore.
12. National Level Workshop on â€œInnovative Trends in Pharmaceutical Researchâ€, 28-29 July, 2010 Organized by NGSM Institute of Pharmaceutical Sciences, NITTE University, Mangalore.
13. State Level Conference on Nano Materials and their applications, organized by, Department of Chemistry, S.J.M. College of Arts, Science and Commerce, Chitradurga in Feb. - 2007.
Innovations / Contributions in Teaching
a) Design of curriculum
Participated in Pharm D course curriculum workshop entitled â€œPharmacy Practice Clinicalsâ€ to define syllabus more appropriately, organized at SJM College of Pharmacy in Co-Ordination with RGUHS on 9th February 2016.
b) Teaching methods
c) Evaluation methods
d) Preparation of resource materials including Books reading materials laboratory manuals etc
e) Remedial Teaching /Student Counselling (Academic) :
Membership of Professional Bodies:
Extension work /Community service:
1. Community work such as values of National Integration, secularism, democracy, socialism, Humanism, peace, scientific temper, floor of Drought relief, family planning, Public Health AIDS, etc.
1. Organized and Participated in a workshop on â€œResearch Ethicsâ€ on 25th January 2016 at SJM College of Pharmacy, Chitradurga.
Co-ordinator for Synergizers/Titrators/Extractors/Interactors/Crushers